Who doesn’t love great steak? (With all the respect of Vegetarians:)
But I must say, a great cut of meat cost a fortune and time consuming. Even when I got a 2 inch thick NY Strip Steaks for a luxury romantic dinner at home, I need to salt and pepper them at least 1 day in advance, so that seasoning goes in side of the meat, not just a surface. On top of that, to cook them medium rare temperature, I need to throw them into the preheated oven after searing them in the pan. Too expensive, too time consuming, too hot, and too much hustle. (I have to confess, I do not mind to do all these steps most of the time except these hot summer days!)
Hanger Steak is very inexpensive, juicy, and easy to cook it on the stove top. Even better if you throw them on your BBQ grill!
1. Prepare marinade. 1/3 cup of soy sauce, 4 cloves of minced garlic, 2 tbs of minced ginger, 3 tbs of sesame oil, 3 tbs of sugar, and 3 tbs of sake.
2. Put a whole meat (hanger steak usually comes a chunk. 1lbs -1.5 lbs per chunk) into zip lock bag along with the marinade liquid. Massage the meat from outside for 1 min. Take out all the air from the bag and seal it. Rest it on the counter for at least 20 min, or put it in refrigerator for 1 hour – 24 hours.
3. Pour 2 tbs of olive oil in the pan, and heat it with high flame. When you see the smoke, throw the meat (2) into the pan. Reduce the heat to medium low and cover it with the lid. Cook for 6 min, and flip it over. And cook it for another 5 min with the lid on.
4. Transfer the cooked meat to the plate. Cover it with the aluminum foil. Rest it at least 5min.
5. Meanwhile, pour 1tbs of Balsamic Vinegar in to the same pan, and scrape all the brown bits from the pan. Throw julienned peppers and cook it for 2-3min. Salt and pepper for taste.
6. Slice the meat against grain. You will see the perfectly cooked juicy steak. Enjoy:)